Employment is any type of work completed or services rendered in exchange for monetary payment, tuition, books, supplies, housing, food, gift cards, or any other benefit. Examples of employment include, but are not limited to, presenting a paper at another university and receiving an honorarium, representing a company in exchange for gift cards, and working for a company and receiving a biweekly paycheck.

You must obtain work authorization prior to starting any off-campus employment. Working off-campus without prior authorization is a serious violation of status and may have severe consequences for your future U.S. immigration benefit applications. If you are unsure if something you wish to do requires work authorization, please check with your international student advisor before engaging in the opportunity.

On Campus Employment

Off Campus Employment