DACA Advising & Resources

1. Davis IC Support for DACA Students

The Davis International Center offers general support for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) students.  DACA students may schedule an appointment at the Davis IC Advising & Appointments page.  

Attorney Consultations for Princeton DACA students:  (Also see item 4 below) You should continue to look for back-up options to your DACA status. Some students may be eligible for other statuses.  The University has agreed to cover the cost of attorney consultations for DACA individuals with an immigration law firm.  You can consult the firm on general matters related to your immigration status as well as for assistance  with filing DACA renewal applications, if needed.  To the extent your initial consultations with the attorney suggest that you have avenues for gaining permanent residency or other adjustment of your immigration status, the University will also provide legal support for your efforts to obtain such adjustment.  DACA individuals who are interested in a referral should email Albert Rivera, Director of the Davis International Center, at albertr@princeton.edu  or phone 609-258-9403 as soon as possible.

2. Statement of University Support & FAQ’s for DACA and Undocumented Students

The University has also posted a statement of support for DACA individuals on campus. In addition, these frequently asked questions (FAQs) are posted on the University’s Diversity & Inclusion website and include information about a range of issues including privacy, admissions, financial aid, taxes, travel, advocacy, and a listing of specific campus resources for DACA and undocumented students.  

3. DACA Legal Resources
4. Renewal of DACA Status and DACA Employment Authorization

As a result of the court order on Jan. 10, 2018, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has stated, “Until further notice, and unless otherwise provided in their guidance, the DACA policy will be operated on the terms in place before it was rescinded on Sept. 5, 2017.” USCIS released instructions stating they will accept DACA renewal applications from individuals who were previously granted DACA.   They will not accept DACA applications from new individuals nor will they accept applications for advance parole travel requests. 

The University if offering legal counsel to assist with your possible DACA renewal. Contact Albert Rivera to arrange a DACA renewal legal consultation as soon as possible. We do not know how long this window of opportunity will last and we strongly recommend that you arrange a legal consultation immediately. 
Email albertr@princeton.edu  or call 609-258-9403 or schedule an online appointment via the WASS calendar. Location: Davis International Center, Simpson International Building A45, Princeton University. 

5. DACA Renewal Filing Fees Reimbursement

The Princeton University Undergraduate Financial Aid Office will arrange for the University to cover the cost of the DACA renewal filing fees for undergraduate students.  This is available for DACA renewals that occur during the student's degree period. Students who file a DACA renewal should contact Ben Eley, Assoc. Director in Undergraduate Financial Aid at 220 West College to make arrangements for this DACA fee grant. Mr. Eley's email is beley@princeton.edu.  If you have previously filed for DACA renewal during your Princeton studies, you may be eligible for reimbursement from the Financial Aid Office.  

6. Domestic Travel in DACA status

To fly domestically within the U.S., you will need:

  • A government issued photo ID such as the EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card or government state issued ID such as a drivers license.  

In addition, it is recommended that you also travel with the following documents – you may not need them but it is best to be prepared:

7. Study Abroad, International Internships, and Other Education Abroad Opportunities for DACA Students

Study Abroad is not available to DACA students at this time since USCIS will not accept any new Advanced Parole (Form I-131) applications and all pending advanced parole applications were expected to be closed without approval.  (The Advance Parole Form I-131 is the government approval document that previously allowed DACA students to travel abroad and reenter for a education abroad program.)

8. Tax-Filing Season for DACA Individuals

If you earned income during the calendar year 2017, you will be required to file income tax forms to the Internal Revenue Service under the same tax laws that U.S. Citizens must follow. The tax-filing process begins in early spring of each year and the tax-filing deadline is usually April 15 of each year.  You can find tax-filing guidance in the following resources: