F-1/J-1 SEVIS Record Transfer

Transferring your SEVIS record TO PRINCETON from another U.S. School

F-1/J-1 students who have been admitted at Princeton and are currently in lawful F-1/J-1 immigration status at another U.S. school are eligible to transfer their SEVIS record to Princeton.

This includes:

  • Students who completed high school and will start an undergraduate program at Princeton.
  • Students who completed a degree program (e.g., Bachelor’s, Masters) at another school and will start a new program (e.g., Masters, Ph.D) at Princeton.
  • Students on Optional Practical Training or Academic Training who will start a new program at Princeton. 

School/Program Transfer

You must complete the F-1/J-1 SEVIS Transfer-In Form and submit the form to the Davis International Center at the same time as your Application for Visa Certificate (AVC). Newly admitted students will receive email instructions from the Davis IC to submit the AVC. You must speak with an International Student Advisor at your current school and request that your SEVIS record be electronically released from your current school to Princeton. Once the record is released and all other documents have been submitted, the Davis IC will process your new form I-20/DS-2019.

Transfer Deadlines and Timelines

You must:

  • Transfer your F-1 record NO MORE THAN SIXTY (60) DAYS AFTER YOU GRADUATE from your current school, or complete your OPT
  • Transfer your J-1 record PRIOR to the end date of your current DS-2019.

5-month start-date limit for F-1 students

If you are an F-1 student, you must transfer your F-1 record no more than 60 days after you graduate from your current school or you complete your OPT. Your program start date at Princeton must be within 5 months following the release date set by your current school, or within 5 months of the program completion date in SEVIS, whichever date is earlier.

If you are a J-1 student, you must transfer your J-1 record BEFORE your current DS-2019 expiration date. Your transfer release date will be your Princeton DS-2019 start date. However, your actual program start date at Princeton will be determined by your Department and the Graduate School and, as per the Graduate School Policy, you will not be able to start your program and/or on campus employment before that date.

Students on post-completion OPT

If you are currently on post-completion OPT, you can transfer your SEVIS record only if you begin your program at Princeton within 5 months of transferring out of your current school that recommended your OPT or the date the OPT ends, whichever is earlier. You are eligible to transfer through the end of the 60-day grace period after completion of your OPT. If you transfer during that period, the 5-month clock begins on the date that you finished your OPT.

Travel Abroad

If you are planning to travel outside the U.S., you must re-enter with an I-20/DS-2019 of the school that holds your active or initial SEVIS record. Travel should:

  • Start and complete before the transfer release date from your current school, so that you can use your current I-20/DS-2019 to re-enter the U.S. 
  • Start and complete after the transfer release date from your current school, so that you can use the I-20/DS-2019 issued by Princeton. 

Working On-Campus

You may not engage in any on-campus work at Princeton (including assistantship) until your program start date at Princeton as determined by your Department and the Graduate School.

Transferring your SEVIS record FROM PRINCETON to Another U.S. School

If you plan to transfer your SEVIS F-1/J-1 record from Princeton to another U.S. institution, please send the transfer-in form from your new institution along with your acceptance letter to Davis IC through DocuPort. If you need further assistance with your transfer, you can also bring the form to Davis IC during walk in hours or schedule an appointment with your international student advisor. 

If you are currently a J-1 student, you also must complete the J-1 Student SEVIS Transfer-Out Request form to notify your advisor at the Davis International Center of your intent to transfer and to indicate the school to which you intend to transfer. You also must submit proof of admission to your new school. Please submit the transfer documentation to Davis IC through Docuport. 

Important Note: Your record can not be transferred unless you notify Davis IC of your intent to transfer and submit required forms. Your new school will not be able to access your SEVIS record and issue a new I-20/DS-2019 before the transfer release date.