Students who complete all of their degree requirements (including thesis) in a timely fashion have the following options:
- Apply for Optional Practical Training (F-1 students) or Academic Training (J-1 students) within the required timeframe.
- Depart the U.S. within the allowed grace period (see #2) following completion of studies.
- Transfer to another academic program before the end of the grace period.
- Apply for a change of status within the US before the end of the grace period.
- F-1 Students have a 60-day grace period after your program completion date OR your I-20 end date, whichever is earlier, to depart the U.S. During this grace period, you may remain in the U.S. but if you leave the U.S., you may not re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status on the same I-20 form for the same program.
- J-1 Students have a 30-day-grace period after your program completion date OR your DS-2019 end date, whichever is earlier, to depart the U.S. During this grace period, you may remain in the U.S. but if you leave the U.S., you may not re-enter the U.S. in J-1 status on the same DS-2019 form for the same program.
ETDCC only applies to graduate students. For immigration purposes, ETDCC status is considered the same as completion of your studies. You are eligible to apply for OPT (F-1 students) or AT (J-1 students) or to depart the U.S. within 60 days (F-1 students) or 30 days (J-1) following your ETDCC status effective start date.
Termination of a student's F-1 or J-1 program may occur for any of the reasons listed below. Students whose program was terminated due to any of these reasons must depart the U.S. Students who terminate their program before completion should meet with their international student advisor as soon as possible prior to their departure.
- Voluntary or required withdrawal (must leave within 15 days following SEVIS termination)
- Leave of absence (must leave within 15 days following SEVIS termination)
- Suspension (must leave before SEVIS record is terminated)
- Expulsion (must leave before SEVIS record is terminated)
- Failure to qualify for graduation (please meet with your Davis IC advisor)
F-1 and J-1 Students
- Differences between F-1 and J-1 Status
- Maintaining Status
- On-campus Employment
- Travel Guidance
- Extension of I-20/DS-2019 Form
- Leave of Absence and Readmission
- Termination or Completion of Program
- Transfers To or From Another School
- Spouse and Family Visas
F-1 Students Only
J-1 Students Only