TO MAINTAIN LEGAL F-1 OR J-1 STATUS, YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE REQUIREMENTS:
Not following these requirements may trigger harsh penalties for individuals who violate the terms of their U.S. immigration status. What can you do to prevent problems? See here. Please note that, while the Davis IC advisors can help you understand your responsibilities, maintenance of status is the individual student's responsibility.
- New Students and re-admitted students must report to the Davis International Center no later than 15 days after the start date indicated on the I-20 Form (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 Form (for J-1 Students).
- You must attend the school you are authorized to attend as indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019 Form. If you have questions about attending other school, please consult with your Davis IC advisor.
- You must pursue a "full course of study" every semester except during official school breaks.
- You must make normal progress toward completion of your course of study by completing studies before the program completion date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019 Form OR, if eligible, you must apply for an extension of your I-20 or DS-2019 Form before the expiration date on the current form.
- You must maintain a residential U.S. address (where you live, not your academic department or Frist mail box) at all times. You are also required to report any change of residential address within 10 days of the change. To update your address, or to report a new address, use the TigerHub system online. The Davis International Center will report any change of address on your behalf, based upon the information extracted from TigerHub. Please note that you are also required to maintain your permanent address in your country of citizenship or country of permanent residency. If you experience any problems with TigerHub, please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com or (609) 258-3361.
- You must have a passport that is kept valid at all times.
- You must have a valid I-20 Form (if you are an F-1 student) or DS-2019 Form (if you are a J-1 student).
- If you wish to transfer from Princeton to another U.S. school, you must follow SEVIS transfer procedures.
- If you wish to change from one educational level to another (Bachelor's to Master's or Ph.D; Master's to Ph.D) OR from one program to another, you must follow University procedures and inform the Davis International Center.
- Limit on-campus employment while school is in session to a total of 20 hours per week (includes Assistant in Instruction and Assistant in Research appointments for graduate students). Full time employment (more than 20 hours) is allowed only during official University breaks, but graduate students must follow the Graduate School Employment Policy guidelines as well.
- NEVER work off-campus without proper work authorization. Make sure to consult with your Davis IC advisor regarding any off-campus job/internship offer.
- Carry appropriate health insurance coverage. J-1 students must maintain required coverage for all J-2 dependents as per J-1 visa regulations. All enrolled F-1 and J-1 students are automatically covered under Princeton University Student Health Plan.
- You must follow the F-1/J-1 grace period rules. F-1 students may remain in the U.S. up to 60 days after completion of your program or after completion of your Optional Practical Training (OPT). J-1 students may remain in the U.S. up to 30 days following the completion date of your program. If you take Leave of Absence, you may remain in the U.S. up to 15 days following your SEVIS record termination. If you are suspended, you do not have any grace period following the termination of your SEVIS record. Make sure to discuss your situation with your Davis IC advisor.
- Keep ALL of your original I-20 Forms or DS-2019 Forms in your records. If you lose your current I-20 or DS-2019 Form, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request a new document.